Under Marsy’s Law, Fort Hood Shooter Could Be Challenged By Attorney For Victims

“Hasan has said he plans to present two witnesses in his defense. But as his own attorney, he’ll be cross-examining witnesses — perhaps including some of those he has now admitted shooting.”

This is a military court and in a different jurisdiction than California. But in California, he could be both challenged on his cross examination of witnesses and also by a private attorney representing the victim under Marsy’s Law. Lets make Marsy’s Law rights enforceable across the country.

‘I Am The Shooter,’ Nidal Hassan Tells Fort Hood Court-Martial

– CNN, By Josh Rubin and Matt Smith

“I am the shooter.”

Maj. Nidal Hasan made that blunt declaration Tuesday at the outset of his court-martial in the 2009 massacre at Fort Hood. The Army psychiatrist is charged with killing 13 and wounding 32 at a processing center for soldiers heading into combat zones overseas.

“The evidence will clearly show that I am the shooter,” Hasan told the panel of 13 senior officers who will decide his fate. “The evidence presented with this trial will show one side. The evidence will also show that I was on the wrong side. I then switched sides.”

But the declaration wasn’t exactly news to now-retired Staff Sgt. Alonzo Lunsford, who was shot seven times that November day. Lunsford, the first of several survivors scheduled to testify against Hasan, recounted how the now-admitted gunman rose from a chair in the processing center, pulled out a pistol and began shooting.

“It was a state of panic,” Lunsford said. A civilian doctor, Michael Cahill, tried to hit Hasan with a chair to stop the shooting; Hasan shot him dead. Soldiers tried to flee or take cover inside the processing center as Hasan fired dozens of shots.

As Lunsford was checking behind him, “Major Hasan is turning the weapon on me,” he said. “He has a laser on his weapon and it goes across my line of sight and I blink. In that time, he discharges his weapon. The first round, I’m hit in the head.”

A second shot caught Lunsford in the back. He decided to play dead for a while before changing his mind and deciding to run for the door. He made it out of the building but was shot five more times outside, he testified.

Hasan continued shooting at Lunsford even as he was receiving first aid outside the processing center, before police arrived. Officers shot and wounded Hasan, ending the rampage and leaving him paralyzed from the chest down.


To continue reading, please click here.